Kathmandu, September 6
The Language Commission has submitted a report about the recognition of various languages as official languages in each province of the country to Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba, in Kathmandu on Monday.
The commission’s chairman Lava Deo Awasthi submitted the report to Deuba at his official residence in Kathmandu today.
Here is the list of the languages that each province has been recommended to recognise as official languages in the provinces, besides Nepali:
- Province 1: Maithili and Limbu
- Province 2: Maithili, Bhojpuri and Bajjika
- Bagmati: Tamang and Nepal Bhasa (Newa)
- Gandaki: Magar, Gurung and Bhojpuri
- Lumbini: Tharu and Awadhi
- Karnali: Magar
- Sudurpaschim: Dotyali and Tharu
Awasthi says the local governments can also recognise other languages popular in their jurisdiction as official languages.