Kathmandu, July 18
The government says it will stop implementing the health insurance programme via private hospitals.
In the annual budget plan for the new fiscal year that has begun Sunday, the government announced that the programme would be carried out by the government and community-based hospitals only. Accordingly, the Health Insurance Board made the decision, informs the board.
“However, we can’t do anything alone. The government will make a final decision in this regard,” says the board’s Director Damodar Basaula.
Health Ministry officials say the government is stopping the health insurance programme for patients at private hospitals as the hospitals began asking for hefty compensations.
“We will formulate a new standard operating procedure to operate the programme,” the ministry’s assistant spokesperson Sameer Kumar Adhikari says.
So far, 449 health facilities have implemented the programme, and 49 of them are privately owned.