Kathmandu, November 30
The 10th general convention of the CPN-UML, the biggest political party of the country, has reelected KP Sharma Oli as its chairman for the next four years.
During the election held on Tuesday, Oli defeated his sole opponent, Bhim Rawal. A member of the election committee says Oli received 1,837 votes against Rawal’s 223.
The election result, however, was almost certain as Oli has emerged as a towering figure in the party whereas Rawal has lost his power with the party split as most of the leaders close to him defected to the newly established CPN-Unified Socialist. Rawal himself was a close confidant of Madhav Kumar Nepal, the chairman of the new party, before the split.
The convention is ending today with the oath-taking and the first meeting of the newly elected central committee.
Meanwhile, the convention elected the following vice-chairpersons:
- Ashta Laxmi Shakya: 1,976 votes
- Surendra Pandey: 1,925 votes
- Subas Chandra Nembang: 1,865 votes
- Bishnu Paudel: 1,856 votes
- Yuba Raj Gyawali: 1,862 votes
- Ram Bahadur Thapa: 1,768 votes
The convention has already elected Ishwar Pokharel as the senior vice-chairperson unopposed.
Meanwhile, Ghanashyam Bhusal has been defeated with just 725 votes.
The convention elected the following secretaries:
- Gokarna Bista: 1,976 votes
- Yogesh Bhattarai: 1,964 votes
- Padma Kumari Aryal: 1,800 votes
- Chhabi Lal Bishwakarma: 1,800 votes
- Lekh Raj Bhatta: 1,704 votes
- Top Bahadur Rayamajhi: 1,700 votes
- Raghubir Mahaseth: 1,513 votes
The convention has already elected Shankar Pokhrel as the general secretary and Pradeep Gyawali, Prithvi Subba Gurung and Bishnu Rimal as deputy general secretaries unopposed.
Meanwhile, Bhim Acharya and Tanka Karki lost the election.