Kathmandu, July 3
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says the government of Nepal is yet to inform the United States government that it has decided to withdraw from the controversial State Partnership Program (SPP).
In a press meeting in Kathmandu on Sunday, the ministry’s spokesperson Sewa Lamsal said the ministry had already received a copy of the cabinet decision about the withdrawal but it was still studying the matter in detail.
“We also need to find out what had happened in the past,” she said, “After that, the government will issue a letter via the diplomatic channel at an appropriate time.”
Because the ministry was not involved in correspondence initially, it is taking more time to take stock of the developments, according to her. Previously, the Nepal Army had written to the US Embassy in Kathmandu requesting the State Partnership Program (SSP).
The government last month decided to withdraw from the project after a draft of the agreement leaked by the media exposed the possibility of the US troops staying in Nepal for an indefinite period, inviting criticism from stakeholders.