Kathmandu, September 18
The Election Commission is beginning the formal election procedures for the next federal House of Representatives and seven provincial assemblies on Sunday.
On the eve of the beginning of the procedures, the House of Representatives and all seven provincial assemblies completed their terms on Saturday night.
As the first step towards the elections, the commission is registering the closed list of political party candidates under the proportional election system for both federal and provincial bodies.
Candidates fighting under the first-past-the-post system, however, will have to file their nominations in October only.
Here are the major dates of the November 20 election procedures:
- Deadline for the registration of parties: August 16, 2022
- Submission of the closed list of proportional representation (PR) election candidates: September 18-19
- Filing nominations for the first-past-the-post (FPTP) election system: October 9
- The final list of the FPTP candidates: October 12
- Election campaigning and other preparations: October 12-November 17
- Voting: November 20
- Vote count: Immediately after the voting