Poisonous wild mushrooms kill 2 in Ilam

Representational file image

Ilam, July 25

Two persons have died after allegedly consuming poisonous wild mushrooms in Phakphokthum rural municipality-1 of the Ilam district of eastern Nepal recently.

The victims have been identified as Lekh Bahadur Limbu (51) and his son Diwas (12), permanent residents of Lumsungwang, Phakphokthung rural municipality-1 of the district.

The District Police Office says they were taken ill after consuming the curry of mushrooms collected from a nearby jungle on July 18. “Then, they sought help from local shamans in the next few days. As the shamans couldn’t help, they were taken to the Nobel Hospital in Biratnagar. But, the hospital said it could not treat them,” ward chair Tek Bir Limbu says.

Hence, the duo died while being taken back home.

“The two ate the curry whereas Lekh’s wife and daughter-in-law didn’t,” ward chair Limbu says, “Hence, they are saved.”

He thinks the two could have been saved if they had been taken to a hospital on time.

React to this post


New Old Popular