+

Landless squatters demand probe into death of man at Bhaktapur holding centre

Kathmandu, August 17

Family members and landless squatters have demanded an independent investigation into the death of 57-year-old Hira Hazara Paswan, who was found hanging at a holding centre in Bode, Bhaktapur, on August 13.

Paswan had been staying at the holding centre after his house in the Thapathali squatter settlement was demolished by the government in April.

Following the demolition, his family was moved to a holding centre in Kirtipur. They were later shifted to Bode after the Kirtipur facility was flooded, damaging the belongings they had managed to save from the demolition.

The United National Landless Squatters’ Front has said Paswan’s death should be investigated, alleging that he had been subjected to prolonged mental pressure following his displacement.

“His house was demolished by a bulldozer, the belongings that remained were swept away by floods, and he received nothing from the state except continuous mental pressure and despair,” the front said in a statement issued on Monday.

Paswan is survived by his wife, son, daughter-in-law, two granddaughters and a grandson.

The organisation also alleged that the family was subjected to further pressure after his death instead of receiving support and sympathy from the state.

“The government forcibly conducted the post-mortem and pressured the family to take the body to Bara overnight for cremation instead of providing comfort and support,” the statement said.

It further alleged that police mistreated people who were attempting to communicate with the grieving family.

The front’s acting chairperson Lil Bahadur Tamang and general secretary Arjun Kunwar have described Paswan’s death as a structural killing and called for an investigation by the National Human Rights Commission or another independent body.

Family members have also called for an investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death.

“How did Hiralal Paswan reach a situation where he had to take his own life? Was he subjected to administrative, social or psychological pressure? What were the conditions at the holding centre?” they asked.

They also demanded an investigation into whether any illegal or inhumane treatment was carried out by authorities during the displacement or relocation process.

The landless squatters say the government had claimed that all necessary preparations had been completed before demolishing their settlements. However, they allege that the authorities lacked adequate preparations from the holding centres through the verification process.

They also claim that some displaced people were being sent, based on their citizenship documents, to addresses they had abandoned decades ago, further deepening their frustration and uncertainty.

The front has demanded that Paswan be declared a martyr of the landless movement, along with compensation for the loss of physical structures and proper rehabilitation of affected families.

It has also called for an immediate halt to what it termed “bulldozer terror” against landless and squatter communities and demanded protection of their rights under the Land Act 2021.

According to the front, Paswan is the ninth landless person to have died since the government began demolishing squatter settlements with bulldozers in April.

The organisation said those who have died include Indra Bahadur Rai, Rabin Tamang, Kamala Balampaki, Hira Pun, Bhesh Bahadur Darji, Ratan Devi Malahani, Ujjwal Tamang, Parbati BK and Paswan.

React to this post

Conversation

New Old Popular