Janakpurdham, January 8
A teenage student died after her teacher mistook spirit for water and gave it to her for drinking in Mirchaiya municipality-6 of the Siraha district.
On Friday, Sirjana Kumari Mahato (15) asked her teacher Ambika Lamsal to give her water as she needed to take medicine for stomach ache. But, Lamsal gave her a bottle of spirit, mistaking it for water.
After the girl drank it, she fell unconscious, and the school rushed her to the Phulkumari Mahato Memorial Hospital.
The hospital informs that she died during treatment on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the deceased’s friends resorted to a protest on Sunday, claiming it was the teacher’s negligence and she should be booked for this.
They also briefly obstructed the East-West Highway and pelted a local police post with stones.
DSP Hari Bahadur Oli says five persons have sustained injuries in the clash.